[ih] the .ORG nonsense machine rises from the dead, patents and public stewardship

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Mon Feb 5 01:51:38 PST 2024

> On Feb 5, 2024, at 04:07, John Levine via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
> The contract change was at ICANN's request

Specifically, Fadi.

> It happened long before anyone approached ISOC about selling PIR.

I’m not sure what kind of rhetorical loophole you’re trying to construct here, but you appear to be arguing against your own point.  It didn’t happen before ISOC was receiving offers for the .ORG contract, but it did happen before the ridiculously high offers.  Which is exactly the point.

> PIR didn't care since the price they charged was and is far below the cap.

Which is irrelevant because PIR was the seller, not the buyer.

> Ethos (the buyer) publicly committed to keep the price below the old cap

Fadi said all kinds of things, but since they were generally all contradicted by his actions, what he says isn’t particularly relevant to anything.

                                -Bill