[ih] the .ORG nonsense machine rises from the dead, patents and public stewardship

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Feb 4 20:12:32 PST 2024

On 2/4/2024 11:31 AM, John Levine via Internet-history wrote:
> ISOC's dependence on an ICANN contracted registry is a huge conflict
> of interest

This is a view that is immediately and intuitively very appealing. As is
the act of declaring the conflict.

A conflict of interest is an arrangement that produces the opportunity
for an unintended and undesirable bias in people or organizations
holding power.  (Beyond that natural challenge of power corrupting
pretty much anyone.)

Unfortunately, taking the nature of this concern and trying to apply it
to the specifics of ISOC's role with .org, it is not easily successful
for me.  I'm not at all clear exactly what the conflict is between.

Perhaps you can explain exactly what that conflict is?

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking