[ih] the .ORG nonsense machine rises from the dead, patents and public stewardship

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Feb 4 19:07:59 PST 2024

It appears that Bill Woodcock via Internet-history <woody at pch.net> said:
>> The stuff about price increases is self-evidently ridiculous to anyone who knows how gTLD pricing works
>
>Nope.
>
>https://www.icann.org/en/public-comment/proceeding/proposed-renewal-of-org-registry-agreement-18-03-2019
>
>“The price cap provisions in the current .org agreement, which limited the price of registrations and allowable
>price increases for registrations, are removed from the .org renewal agreement.”
>
>That actually happened.  Not by accident, and not without the expectation that it could be exploited.

It is true that it happened.  Everything else is part of the malicious bullshit.

The contract change was at ICANN's request to make the contract
consistent with other registry contracts which don't have price caps.
It happened long before anyone approached ISOC about selling PIR. PIR
didn't care since the price they charged was and is far below the cap.
Needless to say, if PIR had any idea how people would leap to absurd
conclusions, they would have told ICANN no, keep it in the contract.

For what it's worth, Ethos (the buyer) publicly committed to keep the
price below the old cap if the deal went through, but by then nobody
was listening.

I'm not guessing or theorizing, I was there. If people claim I'm
lying, not much we can do about that.

R's,
John