[ih] patent licenses, not Why the six month draft expiration ?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sat Feb 3 19:24:23 PST 2024

>> Let's say someone gives us (ISOC, whoever) a patent, and we offer $1
>> licenses.  Then someone else shows up and claims our patent is invalid. Or
>> per Brian, the way we collected the patents makes us a de facto patent
>> pool.  Or whatever.  Even if the suits have little merit, as I'm sure you
>> know defending even the crappiest patent suit costs a fortune.  If we
>> require people to indemnify us for suits related to their free patents,
>> that rather defeats the whole purpose.
>
> In general, because of presumptive validity of claims, it is less expensive
> to defend an issued patent than to attack one.

The more I think about this, the less sense it makes.  If you want to give
everyone a free license to your patent, just stop paying the maintenance
fees and abandon it.  If you want to give limited licenses, that's fine,
but it's up to you to enforce the patent against people outside the
license terms, not anyone else.  Why in the world would ISOC want to get
involved in this stuff?  The potential cost is huge, the practical benefit
to them and to standards users minimal.

>> For copyrights, in the US you can abandon copyright basically by saying so.
>
> Not everyone has a libertarian view of the world; some people, perhaps most
> people, like to retain some control over their expressions.  I know that,
> speaking for myself, that I'd appreciate if the copyright rights to these
> discussions of Internet history on this list were not cast into the public
> domain (where they could be freely and even maliciously manipulated), but,
> rather, were held by an organization by something like ISOC or the Computer
> History Museum where the integrity of the discussions are likely to be
> maintained.

Too late:

  By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that they
  own the copyright with respect to such material or has received
  permission  from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the
  Internet Society and users of this site the nonexclusive right and
  license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such
  information or other material.

  https://www.internetsociety.org/become-a-member/code-of-conduct/

I am not aware of any case law in which someone enforced a copyright claim
on messages contributed to generally accessible web sites or mailing
lists.  Yes, I'm aware of the OpenAI suits but the ones from the authors
are stupid, and the one from the Times has quite different factual
assertions.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl at taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",