[ih] patent licenses, not Why the six month draft expiration ?

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Sat Feb 3 18:48:34 PST 2024

Filing a one page response that says "I offer no argument or evidence in
defense but point out that the opposition has the burden to overcome the
presumption of validity (citing 35 U.S. Code § 282)" is rather quick,
easy, and inexpensive.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/35/282:

"A patent shall be presumed valid. Each claim of a patent (whether in
independent, dependent, or multiple dependent form) shall be presumed
valid independently of the validity of other claims; dependent or
multiple dependent claims shall be presumed valid even though dependent
upon an invalid claim. The burden of establishing invalidity of a patent
or any claim thereof shall rest on the party asserting such invalidity."

It always nice at trial or in an administrative proceeding to have a
presumption in your favor and a the burden of proof and burden of going
forward on the opposing party. ;-)

     --karl--