[ih] patent licenses, not Why the six month draft expiration ?

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:45:33 PST 2024

Jack, we dealt with this sort of thing all the time at Google. What is and
is not "prior art" : as lawyers say, *it depends.*

sometimes an old reference uses different words for concepts that we would
consider "the same thing."  The words shouldn't matter, but they do. You
have a much harder time proving that an old reference is still relevant.

At Google, we had a special room where we kept old hardware and software.
Having a working model of something old is really, really powerful; also
really hard to pull off! We actually went to this place
<https://www.themade.org/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA5fetBhC9ARIsAP1UMgGWtqS33XvZKBLiAbeQTpYvjnE1bcFaerQsbNsJkNRwf4Ry89yvFuMaAolYEALw_wcB>in
Oakland and had them on retainer! Old game hardware is perfectly valid as
prior art, and they have lots of it.