[ih] patent licenses, not Why the six month draft expiration ?

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Sat Feb 3 15:49:28 PST 2024

Funny you should mention Jorge C.  I was trying to find him at a
gathering just yesterday.  (BTW, decades ago he helped us put together
the Boston Working Group that kinda buzzed around ICANN.)

I don't understand your point about attracting patent trolls. (And I
really liked you comment on the trustworthiness - or lack of - in
today's LLCs that have been trained on whatever junk they can grab.  But
more carefully trained systems are already coming along.)

And I do understand Vint's point about generating revenue (and
demonstrating public support) to the US IRS.)

No matter the IETF's policies around standards-making documents there
will arise copyrights and patents that someone might wish to transfer to
a nice, tax exempt (e.g. section 501), long-lived, institutional owner -
such as ISOC - that will make them available to the community on fair
and reasonable terms.  (In a way we already have this, in a limited
sense, in the regional IP address registries.)

This holding and licensing is quite distinct from IP disclosure
obligations on IETF materials.

(As an aside: As a society we are facing a largely under-discussed issue
of what happens to all of the digital assets a person holds when he dies
- we certainly don't want important Internet assets to dangle in the
hands of a probate court like the orphans in Dickens' Bleak House.
Things like charitable remainder trusts could help people pass useful IP
rights to ISOC with minimal tax or probate implications.)

     --karl--