[ih] patent licenses, not Why the six month draft expiration ?

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 15:42:33 PST 2024

Since my patent credentials are pretty impeccable (licensed Patent Agent,
an SSRN paper that was cited in an *amicus *brief for *CLS Bank v. Alice*):

anything that's a "printed publication" is prior art. It doesn't matter if
it's official or unofficial. A patent applicant is considered to be
responsible for knowing it. It also doesn't matter if it's cited in another
patent or not. You can defeat a patent with it.

  The one thing that would help is a reliable date-stamp on any emails or
archives, so that no one can question whether it was *actually *available
to people in the art on that date. In that sense, your idea is worthwhile.

As for "most active IETFers hate patents and (IMO) hate their own corporate
patent lawyers too", I wrote a couple of Substck articles on this:

https://albertcory50.substack.com/p/no-source-code-no-patent

https://albertcory50.substack.com/p/lets-vote-on-it

The latter one is a practical approach to abolishing software patents.
There's no promise it'll work, but we know by now that hoping for a miracle
by the Executive or Judicial branches is futile.

There is a bill
<https://ipwatchdog.com/2023/09/05/passing-pera-assures-patent-eligibility-useful-inventions/id=166270/#:~:text=Titled%20the%20Patent%20Eligibility%20Restoration,methods%20and%20advanced%20computer%20applications.>
in the Senate that would undo the modest progress that *CLS Bank* made. So
it would be completely legitimate to ask any candidate for the Senate if he
or she supports it. You WILL get a blank "deer in the headlights" stare,
but they will at least sasign a staff member to find out what this bill is
all about. And then be ready with some kind of statement for the next time
someone asks.

On Sat, Feb 3, 2024 at 2:51 PM Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history <