[ih] Why the six month draft expiration ?

Karl Auerbach karl at iwl.com
Sat Feb 3 12:22:45 PST 2024

You (and Scott) are both correct that the USPTO has improved from the
days when Bruce Lehman used to call those submitting patent applications
and paying USPTO fees "our customers" and promised to focus on servicing
those paying customers.

(Lehman was so deeply in the pocket of patent applicants that he was
actually booed after a presentation to a meeting of IP lawyers in San
Jose.  And Carl Malamud's buying - and then publishing - USPTO's
income-generating, but public domain, DVDs of patent materials - drove
Lehman to turn apoplectic shades of red at the mere mention of Carl's
name, a fact that I have personally tested and verified.)

To provide an example, although not IETF related:  One has to wonder at
the institutional blindness when the USPTO issued to IBM a patent on
token ring well after Farber's work on DCS at UC Irvine.  (Eventually,
if memory serves, the IBM patent was cancelled after issuance because of
DCS.)

Today the community (in part thanks to EFF) has become more vigilant
about recent era applications and raising awareness of prior thinking
before issuance.

The key word, as you note, is "before".

Once issued a patent gains a rebuttable presumption of validity; that
presumption changes the calculus of the weight of evidence that is
needed to reverse the granted patent.  It's the usual case of "easy" (or
"easier") and less expensive before but "harder" and more expensive
afterwords.

Long ago I suggested that the IETF follow the path of entities such as
the IEEE, by which I mean, the IETF should create a printed (yes, paper
[perhaps only printed on demand] as well as online) quarterly journal,
call it "Proceedings of the IETF", which would publish every ID and
minutes of every working group (including email interactions).

(Ole Jacobson's Internet Protocol Journal is already a great start in
the right direction.)

While this level of formality may now be unnecessary in the US (and I
emphasize the word "may") the world of patents is broader than the US
and not all patent offices around the world may have become as willing
as the USPTO to go beyond classic professional journals.  For the IETF
and Interenet, in this particular area, it's best to look and act like
an old time professional engineering or scientific body.

(I wonder, could one of these new LLC generative AI systems be trained
on IETF materials, including e-mail of working groups, and be provided
as a service to the community?  It would be nice if other bodies such as
3GPP, W3C, and Chinese Next Gen IP, and other networking materials could
be included, but that could raise copyright/licensing issues.)

     --karl--