[ih] Dave Mills has passed away

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Fri Feb 2 00:45:28 PST 2024

On Jan 19, 2024, at 2:59 PM, Greg Skinner via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> I wish I’d gotten to know him better.  I remember having a short conversation with him at the March 1987 Interop in Monterey about the SRI reconstruction protocol and some other things.  But the discussions he had on the tcp-ip list with John Nagle, Van Jacobson, and some others regarding the Internet congestion problems occurring at the time really made an impression on me, personally and professionally.  [1]
>
> —gregbo
>
> [1] https://groups.google.com/g/mod.protocols.tcp-ip/c/KhQVHnVF3-Q/m/BB4mTSLkJFYJ

While searching for more of those pre-1986 ancestral IETF lists, I ran across this interview of Dave Mills. [2] I learned a lot about him that I didn’t know.  He discussed his roles in the ICCB and its descendants.  He also gave several anecdotes about his career and interactions with his peers.  One topic that interested me was the denial of service attack on Wisconsin ISPs caused by NTP.  There is more about the incident in a document written by Dave Plonka of the University of Wisconsin-Madison [3] and RFC 4330. [4]

—gregbo

[2] https://conservancy.umn.edu/bitstream/handle/11299/113899/oh403dlm.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y
[3] https://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/
[4] https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4330