[ih] gateway vs. router

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 14:08:00 PDT 2024

When I first taught a networking course in NZ, I was *strongly* advised to forget my British roots and pronounce "router" as "rowter" (ˈrau̇-tər), because "root" (ˈrüt) has a very different slang connotation in eng-nz and eng-au, that doesn't exist in eng-us and eng-gb, isn't at all polite, and will amuse many undergraduates.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/router seems a bit confused.

But of course "gateway" is not forgotten, especially in BGP-4.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter