[ih] gateway vs. router

Barbara Denny b_a_denny at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 22 08:39:44 PDT 2024

 It took many years for this to happen.  We  did talk about this on the list in the recent past if you want to see more input.
barbara

    On Monday, April 22, 2024 at 08:15:01 AM PDT, Craig Partridge via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

 As I recall, the shift from "gateway" to "router" took place during
the 1980s.  The issue was "gateway" had two meanings: (1) what we
would call a router, which takes packets in a given protocol and maps
those packets onto various lower-layer protocols; and (2) protocol
converters, which translate from protocol A to protocol B.

Because, in the 1980s, we were still in a multi-protocol world, people
were building "gateways" of the second variety.  And they were
distinct from "ships-in-the-night" routers (which were multiprotocol
but didn't do conversion).

Thanks!

Craig