[ih] gateway vs. router

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Mon Apr 22 08:14:38 PDT 2024

As I recall, the shift from "gateway" to "router" took place during
the 1980s.  The issue was "gateway" had two meanings: (1) what we
would call a router, which takes packets in a given protocol and maps
those packets onto various lower-layer protocols; and (2) protocol
converters, which translate from protocol A to protocol B.

Because, in the 1980s, we were still in a multi-protocol world, people
were building "gateways" of the second variety.  And they were
distinct from "ships-in-the-night" routers (which were multiprotocol
but didn't do conversion).

Thanks!

Craig
--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities