[ih] early networking: "the solution"

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 06:43:42 PDT 2024

Vint,

A memory error caused the upper bit of a routing update sequence number to
flip, making the sequence number "greater than" the previously circulating
sequence number by exactly half the sequence number space. Routing updates
half-way through the sequence space kept chasing each other. We fixed it by
instituting a window on the sequence space so that only updates "greater
than" the previous update but within the window were accepted.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 3:01 AM vinton cerf via Internet-history <