[ih] Speaking of layering and gateways

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Apr 15 17:34:17 PDT 2024

Thanks.  I turned it into a blog post:  https://jl.ly/Internet/gauge.html

> Cars and trucks are encapsulated in a train for the Channel Tunnel
> between England and France. Alternatively, they are encapsulated in
> boats. Both systems are exposed to head-of-line blocking, are best
> effort, and implement collision avoidance.

I'm not sure quite how far I want to push this.

There is one remaining passenger train ferry in Europe, from Italy to
Sicily.  In the US there are no passenger train ferries, but there is a
long distance freight rail ferry between Seattle and Alaska, and NYNJ rail
across NY harbor because the closest rail bridge across the Hudson is 140
miles north in Selkirk.

R's,
John