[ih] early competition and networking

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 14 20:02:30 PDT 2024

On 4/14/2024 6:55 PM, John Day wrote:
> Right.  So you believe that the solution to internetworking all networks use the same network protocol?

Given that my graduate work was an email gateway system, between
independent, heterogeneous services, no, I would not say all.

However meaningful heterogeneity essentially requires losing some
information, so I'd say 'preferred solution'.

> Should I jump to the conclusion that that was true, prior to IP being separated from TCP?

Since I was not involved in any of that work, my response is based on
comments from others.

My understanding is that the design model then and now is a homogeneous
service, on top a variety of heterogeneous services. Hiding the
differences by providing a common service on top of them.  That the
common service was originally specified as one layer and evolved into
two does not change the meta-design approach.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking