[ih] early competition and networking

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sun Apr 14 18:21:53 PDT 2024

On 4/14/2024 6:16 PM, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
> So should we say that the fundamental concept behind the internetworking
>   based on what we use today is translation between different networks?

No.  Translation means that the substance is altered into a
different-but-roughly-equivalent form.

What we do within the IP Internet is to change a layer of envelopes,
without altering the substance.

Translation is the sort of thing done when gatewaying, such as between
Internet email and X.400.  The entire structure of the mail -- and
potential some of its actual data -- are altered.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking