[ih] early competition and networking

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Apr 14 18:06:36 PDT 2024

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024, John Day wrote:
> Thanks for all the responses.
> Interesting. So all of these networks were interconnected. But what was the solution?

They were all different.  Interconnecting telephone networks was a
political rather than technical problem since in practice all US phone
networks used AT&T's conventions and often their equipment.  I also don't
think there were many technical barriers to interconnecting telegraph and
telex networks.  Even translation between Baudot Telex and ASCII TWX was
pretty straightforward and didn't have to work for every possible obscure
character.  (The 103 modems had a "restrain" light which temporarily
stopped the paper tape reader so the ASCII to Baudot translator at the
other end could catch up.)

Much later, 1950s and 1960s, interconnection had some technical issues
because North American networks worked differently from CCITT networks
everywhere else, but the semantics were close enough, e.g., this is a
phone number, that is a 56Kbps encoded voice channel, that it wasn't a big
deal to translate.

I can't think of anything as different as the various flavors of e-mail
that people tried to glue together.  Look at RFC 987, 69 pages of mappings
between X.400 mail and SMTP mail.  In that case, the solution turned out
to be that SMTP won and everything else disappeared.

R's,
John