[ih] early networking

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Sun Apr 14 17:43:05 PDT 2024

If you have watched the show "Murdoch Mysteries" set 100+ years ago in
Toronto, episodes sometimes illustrate how telegraphy worked.  I don't
know how historically accurate the show is, but sometimes a telegram
would be couriered, on a bicycle or horse, from one telegraphy office to
another, run by a competitor, if that was necessary to get the message
through.

FWIW, back in the days when TCP4 was congealing, we actually talked
about such historical methods, hoping to learn from experience and maybe
avoid mistakes made in past "internet" mechanisms.

IMHO, "internetting", "packet switching" and other contemporary terms
reflect concepts and mechanisms that have literally been in use for
millenia.  Humans have been moving "stuff" from place to place since we
were all hunter-gatherers.

We have used many different types of "networks".    In Greco-Roman
times, there was an extensive transportation network using ships in the
Mediterranean.   Rome also built an extensive network of roads, some of
which survive today.   Their goal was apparently to achieve low-latency
(for the time) throughout the Empire, and good roads were their
solution.  Within Roman cities, slaves provided local delivery, carrying
goods (or even people) into Roman villas

When a ship reached a port, its cargo was offloaded and transferred to
carts and wagons suitable for traversing the roads.  At its final
destination, the cargo would be further distributed across several
networks, and some of a cargo of wine might end up in the goblet of a
patrician Citizen.

They didn't use the term "internet", or "gateway", or "router", or
"LAN", but their mechanisms performed similar functions.

They even had "packets" ... for example, amphora were big jugs that
could carry wine, water, olive oil, or even grain.  Many amphora could
be carried in a single ship, avoiding the need to have special ships for
each type of cargo.   Amphora were of a size that could be readily
transferred to another transport network, e.g., to carts used on the
road system.   In other words, there was a "MTU" for "packets" crossing
the Roman Internet.

Some transportation needs were met by a form of "circuit switching".
E.g., aqueducts carried water for long distances, but it wasn't possible
to mix cargos in an aqueduct.   It was dedicated to a particular
commodity.   But even aqueducts could be "gatewayed" to another network,
e.g,. by using amphora for part of the journey.

It's always seemed to me that there are some basic, and ancient,
principles and concepts in use for millenia to move "stuff". Whenever
some new technology is created, a frenzy often occurs to create the
particular new mechanisms to implement those ancient concepts in the new
environment.  For example, as railroads appeared, techniques were
invented to integrate them into the older systems.   In the 19th
century, mechanisms such as "team tracks" gatewayed the rail network to
the roads.  Today, "containerized shipping" uses similar "packets" to
move cargo across rail, ship, road, and even air networks.

So, for telegraphy, radio, and today's Internet, the new technology was
electronics, and new mechanisms are still being developed to create the
same millenias-old concepts.  Bits are just another form of "stuff" to
be moved.  Today, bits are even being moved by trucks - e.g., Amazon's
use of trucks full of storage devices to move huge piles of data to its
cloud using the road network.

Our networks today seem to increasingly use computers and Artificial
Intelligence to keep the cargo moving.  Curiously, even the Romans
automated their Internet.   They used an advanced implementation of
Intelligence to keep things running smoothly.  Of course they didn't
have computers or AI, but they did have slaves - lots of them. Slaves
could keep the systems all running and the cargo moving. Even the
"email" sent by military and business users throughout the Internet.
Slaves made excellent couriers.  So even "SneakerNet" is an ancient concept.

Instead of moving physical cargo, our electronic networks are limited -
they can only move bits.

Until someone figures out how to implement the Transporters of the
sci-fi world.

Beam me up Scotty,
Jack Haverty