[ih] early internetworking

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun Apr 14 13:41:53 PDT 2024

It appears that John Day via Internet-history <jeanjour at comcast.net> said:
>I am surprised that there was not a lively discussion of this.  It is an honest question. It is unclear to me what precisely
>the solution to internetworking was?  I don’t want to suggest anything and affect the answer, but I guess I could.

Seems to me it depends on what you mean by internetworking.

Telephone systems were fighting about interconnection in the early
1900s leading to the 1913 Kingsbury commitment in which AT&T promised
to interconnect with other telcos so long as their service area didn't
overlap with Bell's.

I suppose Mailgrams were sort of internetworking, kind of.

R's,
John