[ih] early networking

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Tue Apr 9 06:24:35 PDT 2024

The Navy also had an operational messaging system at this time, known as
NAVCOMPARS (though that was also the name of the message routing machines).
 https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA127990.pdf

It was overwhelmed by the volume of messages during the US invasion of
Grenada and I was part of a team that helped design a way to tunnel its
traffic over the Internet.

Craig

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 9:29 PM Dave Crocker via Internet-history <

> On 4/8/2024 3:05 PM, Vint Cerf via Internet-history wrote:
> > interesting pre-Arpanet/Internet history
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFkwWZ6ujy0
>
> Since this was an effort to exactly replace the torn-tape interchanges,
> let's add this to the mix: the USC-ISI Military Message System
> Experiment for Oahu:
>
>     SIGMA Final Report. Volume V, Part 1-3. Introduction, Functional
>     Description and Evaluation.
>
>     https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/citations/ADA116359
>     https://apps.dtic.mil/sti/pdfs/ADA116359.pdf
>

>             Abstract:
>
>     The first part of this report introduces SIGMA, the automated
>     message-handling system used in the Military Message Experiment,
>     developed at the Information Sciences Institute. This introduction
>     is divided into two parts. The first, from 1968 to 1975, covers the
>     period from the recognition of the need for improved communications
>     at Camp Smith, Oahu, to the actual signing of a Memorandum of
>     Agreement to conduct the MME. The second part covers ISIs
>     involvement in the planning and the actual conducting of the MME,
>     roughly from 1973 to 1979. The second part of the SIGMA Final Report
>     describes the functionality of SIGMA as a user views it. This part
>     introduces the reader to the system in roughly the sequences that a
>     new user is exposed to it. It starts with a discussion of the
>     terminal, followed by the log-on procedure, then proceeds to the
>     various objects the user deals with in SIGMA and the operations he
>     may perform on them. The developers of SIGMA learned a great deal
>     during the MME about what the proper functions of an automated
>     message-handling system should be, but these lessons were only part
>     of the developers education. The experimental results were affected
>     more by several higher level issues than by the details of the
>     message service operation. This part of the SIGMA Final Report is
>     divided into the following major sections high-level issues,
>     functional and design considerations for a message service, and
>     lessons on development and operational environment for the experiment.
>
> d/
>
> --
> Dave Crocker
> Brandenburg InternetWorking
> bbiw.net
> mast:@dcrocker at mastodon.social

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and