[ih] Dan Lynch has passed away

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Apr 1 09:21:50 PDT 2024

On 4/1/2024 5:29 AM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> Bake-offs were part of protocol development from the start of the
> Internet development.  (And earlier.)  These were narrow efforts to
> test/ensure interoperability for specific protocols.

Some offline exchanges are prompting a bit of elaboration about
bake-offs, interoperability testing, and Interop:

Bake-offs were simply protocol interoperability testing events, with a
narrow focus on what was being tested as part of the protocol definition
and initial implementation process. As noted, they go back to the
beginning of Arpanet development, not just Internet development.

Interop was a technology transfer event that included product
interoperability on the exhibit show network, as proof of product
competence.  Interop also had an extensive program of panels and
presentations with serious technical content.  (There also were slots
for pure marketing presentations, but they we confined. Anyone who did
pure marketing during a session that was intended to be substantive was
not invited back.)

So:  Bake-off/interoperability = standards development.  Interop =
technology transfer.

d/

--
Dave Crocker