[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Thu Sep 7 09:46:58 PDT 2023

Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote in
 <0848326a-1c7a-f4e9-30f4-5c812d275270 at dcrocker.net>:
 |On 9/6/2023 5:36 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso via Internet-history wrote:
 |> Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote in
 |>   <cfa26777-e4a3-d819-fa79-baaff39f7c56 at dcrocker.net>:
 |>||
 |>|30 years, and no evident progress in design or adoption is not encouragi\
 |>|ng.
 |>
 |> DNSSEC is also coming, and is "over twenty years" old.
 |
 |Actually, it too has been a 30-year effort.  Work started around 1990.
 |Not that I had anything to do with the actual work, but I happened to be
 |the cognizant IETF Area Director when it started.

I have here most of the RFCs, and hated 2065 (1997) and 2535
(1999) actively and from my very heart.  Earlier DNS security
documents than 2065 i do not know of.
RFC 2181 (greetings, Robert Elz) states in section 10.

  It should be noted that DNS Security is still very new, and
  there is, as yet, little experience with it.  Readers should be
  prepared for the information related to DNSSEC contained in this
  document to become outdated as the DNS Security specification
  matures.

RFC 403[345] came later, in 2005, and were a huge step, obsoleting
and updating nine RFCs each.

--steffen