[ih] historical barriers to equality for women in internetworking

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Oct 11 18:23:37 PDT 2023

On 12-Oct-23 13:00, Greg Skinner via Internet-history wrote:
> Some of you may have seen the results of the recent research done to understand issues women face who participate in the IETF. [1] In the process of searching for flag day experiences, I found a report published in February 1983 that, in a similar manner, discusses barriers to equality faced by some female grad students and staff members of MIT’s Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science labs. [2]  Deborah Estrin, Liza Martin, and Karen Sollins contributed to this report.

A great find, Greg. It would be fascinating to know how the authors feel about it today.

Women in IT is a field of study in its own right, e.g. a couple of references from one of my own publications:

24. T. Haigh, “Masculinity and the machine man: Gender in the history of data processing,” in Gender Codes: Why Women Are Leaving Computing, T. J. Misa Ed., Hoboken, NJ, USA: Wiley, 2010.

25. J. Abbate, Recoding Gender: Women’s Changing Participation in Computing. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT
Press, 2012.

    Brian