[ih] Ending Saint Helena’s Exile from the Internet (Doug Madory)

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Wed Oct 11 14:45:18 PDT 2023

EXCERPT:

Summary

Just after midnight on October 1, 2023, the remote island of Saint Helena
in the South Atlantic began passing internet traffic over its long-awaited,
first-ever submarine cable connection. In this blog post, we cover how
Kentik’s measurements captured this historic activation, as well as the
epic story of the advocacy work it took to make this development possible.
------------------------------

Just after midnight on October 1, 2023, the remote island of Saint Helena
in the South Atlantic began passing internet traffic over its long-awaited,
first-ever submarine cable connection. Hours later, I published the first
evidence
<https://www.kentik.com/analysis/saint-helena-activates-long-awaited-subsea-connection/>
of
the submarine cable activation, continuing a practice of mine which has
included the reporting the activations of the ALBA-1 cable
<https://archive.nanog.org/meetings/nanog57/presentations/Tuesday/tue.lightning1.madory.alba-1.pdf>
connecting
Cuba to Venezuela, the Tonga Cable
<https://twitter.com/DougMadory/status/1482414748666941445> in the South
Pacific, and Kerch Strait cable
<https://www.vice.com/en/article/ypw35k/russia-built-an-underwater-cable-to-bring-its-internet-to-newly-annexed-crimea>
connecting
Crimea to mainland Russia.

If you’ve ever heard of Saint Helena, it might be due to its role as the final
place of exile
<https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/Napoleons-Exile-on-St-Helena/>
for
Napoleon Bonaparte, beginning in 1815. Up until a couple of weeks ago,
the 5,300
residents
<https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/saint-helena-population/> of
this British overseas territory lived in an updated form of exile: from the
benefits of high-speed internet access which define modern society.

In this blog post, I cover how Kentik’s measurements captured this historic
activation, as well as the epic story of the advocacy work it took to make
this development possible...

[...]
https://www.kentik.com/blog/ending-saint-helenas-exile-from-the-internet/

Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com