[ih] Invention of The Internet - circa 1920

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 11:36:19 PST 2023

I suspect that native American smoke signals, and Swiss alpenhorn signalling and yodelling, would count.

When the Spanish Armada invaded Britain in 1588, the warning was sent to London and around the country by a series of hill-top beacon fires. That's a torn-tape system even if it only conveys one bit, and the idea goes back at least to the Peloponnesian War and to the Han dynasty in China. Lots more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter