[ih] Internet-history Digest, Vol 48, Issue 13

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Tue Nov 28 08:10:01 PST 2023

On Tue, Nov 28, 2023 at 9:05 AM Andrew Odlyzko via Internet-history <

> All this material is amusing and informative, but it
> is rather far afield from the history of packet networks.
> Messages in those system were not broken up in packets
> that were then mixed with those of other messages, ...

Agreed, though not far from cyber security.  Pehrson and Holtzmann were
down the hall from me at SICS when they started writing their book
(Holtzmann on a sabbatical, like me).  And one detail we uncovered was that
the French telegraph system played a critical role in the plot of the Count
of Monte Cristo, in which the count arranges for a message to be altered or
inserted (I don't recall which) in transit, which causes the Baron
Danglars, a banker, to panic.  Classic man-in-the-middle attack :-)

Craig
--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and