[ih] history of protocol bugs

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Nov 13 10:15:19 PST 2023

Dave Clark was there.  I'm pretty sure Keith Klemba was not.  Here's my
recollection of the people in that photo:

L->R
Dale McNeill (BBN - in charge of SATNET & MATNET operations)
Jim Forgie (MIT Lincoln Labs)
Jim Herman (BBN - in charge of Arpanet operations)
Barry Leiner (DARPA)
Gil Falk (BBN - satellite nets)
Cliff Weinstein ?not sure? (MIT Lincoln Labs)
Jon Postel (everyone knows Jon...)
Steve Kent (BBN - security guru)
Dave Clark (MIT - ICCB "Internet Architect")
Dave Mills (Linkabit, Comsat, UDel, ...?)
Jack Haverty (BBN, in charge of "sponsored research")
(kneeling) I remember the face, but not the name...

There were a few others, not around when the picture happened.  It
wasn't a large event, probably just an invited list from Barry Leiner at
ARPA.  I recall that a few attendees (e.g., Jil Westcott) arrived late
by plane, having been at some other meeting.   I hadn't realized
Catalina even had an airport.   We used "alternate routing" to get there.

Most of us journeyed from LA to Catalina by the ferry service, through
the dense fog bank that was common over the Pacific in California in the
winter.   I recall my surprise as I was staring into the gray and
suddenly the dock in Catalina appeared - not more than a few hundred
feet away!  Radar avoided disaster.

The venue on Catalina, at least at the time, was the old Wrigley mansion
on top of the hill above the harbor.  See
https://localwiki.org/catalina-island/The_Wrigley_Mansion_of_Catalina_Island
It was the owners' "summer cottage", and our Workshop was held in the
living room.  Not much in the way of "conference" paraphernalia but
there was probably a phone somewhere.  I was sitting at a little "tea
table" by a window, being distracted by the view and uneasy looking at
the long drop below.  My perch was in a kind of parapet hanging out over
the cliff.   I was from the East Coast at the time and had heard about
those earthquakes in California!

Unfortunately the "Proceedings" that ARPA printed didn't include the
presentations.   IIRC some of us used viewgraphs (low-tech precursor to
Powerpoint) and others were just talks or whiteboard-ware so much of the
content was probably lost.   The "recollections" in the Proceedings had
a deadline so the publication only contains what the attendees sent in
by the cutoff date.

Jack Haverty