[ih] Archiving Internet history

John Gilmore gnu at toad.com
Thu Feb 16 19:27:23 PST 2023

>> Whoever is in charge of the IETF discussion groups/lists, I assume
>> they're somehow being archived well,
>
> Unless things have changed dramatically in recent years, they are not.
> The difference between reliable operation, operational backups, and
> museum quality archiving was not something that resonated with the
> IETF, when it was discussed back then.

I am also using the Internet Archive's "Archive-It.org" to make *some*
backups of the IETF archives:

  https://archive-it.org/collections/11034

For example, it's very useful to keep long term copies of
Internet-Drafts that have long expired.  Documentation of more recent
Internet protocols is likely to be sitting in unapproved
Internet-Drafts, if it's anywhere at the IETF.

	John

PS: Many of the national and regional archives of the world also
contract with the Internet Archive to outsource their web crawls.  The
results are hosted at the Internet Archive as well as being supplied to
the funding archive on disk drives for their own preservation.  It is
always a big crawl when Australia annually pays IA to crawl every
website that's hosted in Australia -- and they aren't the only country
to do that.  You can see a list of many Archive-It institutional members
here:

  https://archive-it.org/explore

ISOC itself is a subscriber:

  https://archive-it.org/home/internetsociety