[ih] Running long-term archives of this list?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Feb 13 20:02:45 PST 2023

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>Yesterday I read a story about Google's small army of employees with
>yellow badges tasked with methodically scanning books in various
>libraries' collections to create a comprehensive digital archive, which
>unfortunately couldn't be available to the public for various reasons
>such as legal constaints of copyright et al.   I assume it's all well
>archived and backed up.

Hathitrust is a consortium of midwestern academic libraries that
maintains an archive of scanned books. It includes Google Books and
scans from the Internet Archive and other stuff. There was a long
contentious lawsuit a decade ago filed by the Authors Guild (which I
quit because of that suit) that the Guild eventually lost, but the
Hathitrust scans are mostly available only to member libraries other
than books they are sure are in the public domain.

If anyone knows people there, either directly or perhaps indirectly
via Google or the Internet Archive, it might be interesting to talk to
them.

The Charles Babbage Institute at U of Minnesota should also be
interested, dunno anyone there either.

R's,
John