[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Feb 13 13:57:43 PST 2023

Rob's Vax TCP was done from scratch IIRC.  I had written TCP for Unix on
a PDP-11/40 (which AFAIK was the first Unix TCP).   Because of the
11/40s hardware limitations, my TCP was written in PDP-11 assembler,
using Jim Mathis' LSI-11 implementation from the Packet Radio work at
SRI as a model and source of code fragments.   I still have a listing.

With the 11/40 constraints, TCP code wouldn't fit into the kernel so I
designed it as a user process.   That surfaced some issues in Unix
design, in particular in the facilities "pipes" provided (and Rand's
"ports" which were extensions of pipes for interprocess
communications).   There was no way we could find for a user process to
sleep waiting for a wakeup from any of several possible inputs. That
motivated the definition of two new Unix system calls, "await" and
"capac", which were minimalistic because they had to fit in the
extremely limited kernel memory space.   We even visited Bell Labs to
talk with Ritchie while figuring out how to implement TCP in Unix.

Those new system calls were documented and published -- *Haverty*, JF,
and *Rettberg*, RD,'Inter-process communications for a server
in***UNIX*',  in COMPCON Fall 78 (September, 1978): pp. 312-15.   I
can't seem to find such ancient conference proceedings online today, but
Google knows about it:
https://www.google.com/books/edition/Proceedings_Compcon/Mf1VAAAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=0&kptab=overview

That work was available to Rob while he was implementing Vax TCP, as
well as to Mike Wingfield, who was implementing TCP for PDP-11/70 under
a contract with DCEC (engineering arm of DCA).   For a while, all of
these machines were housed in the same computer room/lab, connected to
an in-house IMP network, which made brainstorming and testing pretty
easy.   Also juggling practice, something to do for a few minutes while
waiting for the compile or assembly process to complete.

My 11/40 TCP had little value for the future since such limited machines
as the 11/40 were being replaced by more powerful machines.  But Rob's
work was all provided to Berkeley for their use in BSD.   I never heard
whether or how they used it.  I was the contractor-side point man for
the ARPA contract that funded all of this work, and ARPA had decided to
consolidate its Unix OS efforts and focus on BSD.   The "await" and
"capac" system calls were a minimalist implementation of what sockets
later provided on more powerful hardware.

Jack