[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Mon Feb 13 13:40:51 PST 2023

On 10/02/2023 17:56, John Day via Internet-history wrote:
> ATM was a bad idea the day it was proposed.  It was unbelievable how many people were taken in by it.

ATM saw glory in PPPoA in ADSL -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_ATM

As for why TCP/IP won over OSI, my take is that at the time OSI stacks
really worked for large mainframe computers. The advent of PCs & desktop
machines that could run early TCP/IP stacks killed the OSI stack. Credit
goes in particular to:
- KA9Q - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q (incidentally why is Phil
Karn not in the Internet Hall of Fame?)
- Microsoft implementing TCP/IP in Win95
- Novell NetWare TCP/IP support in the early 90s & its NE2000 card (&
compatibles)

Mainframes lost the game and along did OSI.
Best,

Olivier