[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 13:28:21 PST 2023

Thanks Scott.

I'd add international spread as a major feature, and that was strongly affected by Larry Landweber (and others) who spread the meme widely in academia.

Also:
"Tim Berners-Lee developed..." is a bit hero-worshippy. Actually, Tim Berners-Lee and Robert Cailliau developed and propagated the Web. Robert's part has been consistently undersold.

For those who don't know it, these crucial points:

• Provided the protocol specifications for free
• Provided the software for free
• Did not patent any aspect

were due to those who wrote the CERN Convention in 1953, specifying that the results of CERN research must be published:

“The Organization shall have no concern with work for military requirements and the results of its experimental and theoretical work shall be published or otherwise made generally available.”

To my personal knowledge, Berners-Lee and Cailliau persuaded CERN management to allow the WWW release to the public domain on the basis of those words. (http://cds.cern.ch/record/1164399)

    Brian