[ih] History of IoT

Michael Thomas enervatron at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 12:01:15 PST 2023

Hi all,

I've been trying to understand the history of what we'd now call the
Internet of Things. I know about the internet coke machine which was in
about 1983 and then the internet toaster in around 1990. but that's a
lot of time in between that seems to be blank. It would shock me if
students didn't follow suit with their own versions of coke machine like
hacks in the mean time. The timelines I've seen credit the toaster as
being the first IoT device, but I'm not sure why the coke machine
doesn't qualify because it's just as much of a hack as the toaster.

My personal stake -- and the reason for my curiosity -- is that I
designed the software for an ethernet enabled laser printer in the mid
80's which is very likely to be the first (I'd be happy to hear
otherwise) for a printer. We added IP to it a year or two later so it
was definitely before 1990, but I've lost access to source control so
it's really hard to verify my claims. So if it wasn't the first IoT
device (and I don't think it was, the coke machine was really clever),
it could have been the first IoT device that had commercial value. It
was definitely a selling point even back then even though it was
obviously still pretty niche. The company who contracted us for it sold
to a lot of universities so they'd have had a ready audience.

So does anybody have any memories of IoT in that era? Any good
resources? I almost drove up to ISI for an IETF meeting after struggling
with lprd which was not very well suited to the task of something
embedded in a device. Alas, it was easier procrastinate. There probably
wouldn't have been all that much interest since there were so many other
fish to fry at that time as well.

Hopefully the output of this a blog post that I'd like to put together.

cheers, Mike