[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Andrew G. Malis agmalis at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 09:25:25 PST 2023

Frame Relay (and to a lesser extent, ATM) wasn't a competitor to TCP/IP. In
fact, they were both L2 technologies, and certainly the greatest amount of
FR revenue was in tail circuits carrying IP from an ISP or a corporate HQ
to a remote corporate office. At the time, FR was MUCH less expensive and
faster than leased lines.

Cheers,
Andy

On Fri, Feb 10, 2023 at 12:06 PM vinton cerf via Internet-history <