[ih] Installed base momentum (was Re: Design choices in SMTP)

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Feb 9 18:16:51 PST 2023

On 2/9/23 14:57, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> Such is the lesson of installed base momentum.
I agree - the installed base is a formidable obstacle to getting any
kind of replacement propagated.   Stagnation and fragmentation into
silos seems to be the result, as players introduce a desired new
technology into just the components that they can control.

But I also wonder -- How did TCP overcome the momentum of the installed
base?

At the time, in the 1990ish timeframe, there was a huge installed base
of network technology.   Hundreds of thousands of computers utilizing
networks based on SNA, SPX, XNS, Decnet, etc. etc.   TCP existed, but
was a small player, confined largely to the academic and research
communities.

But almost overnight, actually over just a few years, TCP became a real
player, and then the dominant player, and by now all of the other
technologies of that installed base have simply disappeared. The
installed base of 1990 is gone without a trace.  Are there any computers
anywhere still running those well-established technologies?   I haven't
encountered any, but I wouldn't be surprised if some still existed.
Perhaps something running Cobol somewhere.

So how did TCP manage to blast through that momentum of the installed
base, creating such a chaos in the collision?   And how did it do it so
rapidly?

Curiously, that collision of TCP with the installed base involved TCP/IP
V4.   TCP/IP V6 has come along and its been quite a few years in
transition.   It seems that the momentum of the installed base of TCP/IP
V4 has blunted the adoption of TCP/IP V6.   Why?  What's different?

A similar situation seems to exist in other network areas, e.g., the
mechanisms of electronic mail that we've been discussing.  New
technologies can get invented and documented, but often never get widely
deployed.  Why?   What magic incantations were used to deploy TCP in the
1990s that have been apparently now lost.

Perhaps some historian has some answers....

Jack