[ih] Design choices in SMTP

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Feb 9 07:25:33 PST 2023

> While I have no memory or documentation of when these commands were deployed in FTP, it's clear that it was not immediately after Ray created networked mail, and yet email was quickly widely used. Offhand, I'd guess the delay for the FTP commands was in the 1-2 year range.  Possibly longer?

MAIL and MLFL were put into FTP at the March 1973 meeting (RFC 542) (and at the very end of the meeting when Steve Crocker showed up and said we had to do it. People grumbled a bit and did it.) And of course it was the most useful thing the whole meeting did. ;-)

The question then is how soon did implementations include the new commands.

Take care,
John