[ih] Design choices in SMTP

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue Feb 7 13:19:18 PST 2023

Personally I don't care whether something is enhanced or replaced. The
important requirement is that the "new functionality" is easy for the
end user to deploy, preferably being accomplished invisibly.   I've
never heard of "JMAP", or seen any ISP or Mail software mention it, or
any plan for deployment and transition. AFAIK, I'm still using IMAP.

Re a "problem statement"...

Fifty years ago, email was just starting but people who "got on email"
could all communicate with each other.  For a while, several mail
universes existed ARPANET, UUCP, MCI, AOL, etc.) and they typically were
somehow interconnected so everyone could still communicate with each
other.   Email was about as reliable as the underlying networks.  You
could trust that an email you received from someone actually came from
that person, and an email you sent would get delivered to the intended
recipient.  Some such characteristics were mostly because of the
collegial aspect of the network community at the time, but people were
working on technological solutions (e.g., PGP).

Today, the email world is full of silos and walled gardens.   So I have
to check my various SMTP mailboxes, LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and
other social media sites, and lots of "forums", plus SMS/MMS and various
"secure" mailboxes for my accounts at places like banks and companies
that don't trust SMTP mail, just to see if I have any message I should
read or answer.   Sometimes it's called something different, like "DM"
or "PM", but it's all persons-persons messaging.

It's difficult or impossible (or I just haven't discovered the magic
incantations) to reply to, forward, save, search, or otherwise process
mail involving correspondents who aren't in the same silo. If I want to
find a message I saw a few months ago, I have to somehow remember
whether it was on one of my SMTP accounts, or Facebook, or SMS, etc., or
search all of them.   If I want to engage several others in a
conversation, I have to do it in each silo they use.

Also of course I have to deal with all sorts of spam filters, settings,
and mechanisms that seem to be sometimes good at blackholing legitimate
messages while still delivering a lot of actual spam, and sometimes
deliver messages that have been forged. I get mail purporting to be from
someone (even myself) that isn't. Sometimes a message doesn't get
delivered because it is deemed too large by some handler along the way.

It seems common now to hear "I never got your email", and also to be
wary of acting on information in an incoming message.

I would like the reliability, pervasiveness, and trustworthiness of the
70s email restored.  So, my "problem statement" would be something like:

"Provide a system for human-human communications that can be used on
whatever kind of computer a person has at the time, accessing whatever
kind of network that computer can utilize at the time, with high
reliability, privacy, and guarantee of identity, for all humans,
companies, organizations, governmental units, business partners, and
other entities I want to communicate with, including the ability to
store, archive, search, share, and authenticate messages sent and
received over time.  The system must be inherently upgradable to reflect
changes in underlying computers and networks, as well as its own
internal evolution."

Multimedia of course...this is the 21st century.

Jack