[ih] Design choices in SMTP

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Feb 7 12:23:49 PST 2023

On 2/7/2023 11:35 AM, Grant Taylor via Internet-history wrote:

>> But it's also true in the literal sense that wide-area networks were
>> largely built with microwave in the 1980s (or geosynchronous
>> satellites), while they are built with fiber optic circuits now. And
>> the speed of light through fiber is about 2/3 the speed of light
>> through air (or space).
>
> This floored me the first time I heard about it.

While still an undergrad -- before going on to become a founding
employee of Silicon Graphics -- was doing a project for the department
chair.  The chair had had a career at Xerox and the current project was
a bit of printer hardware.  One day the undergrad commented to me that
electricity though a circuit did not travel at the speed of light and he
was discovering this was important to know...

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking