[ih] Early networking in the South Pacific

scott surfer at mauigateway.com
Sun Dec 24 14:10:43 PST 2023

Hello,

This won't thread properly because I deleted the original email from
Brian Carpenter, but I wanted to forward it to the list as one of the
authors on the PICISOC mailing list gave me a link that is not behind a
paywall and, since the Pacific Ocean is 1/3 of the plant's surface area,
communications and internet over such a large and challenging
environment is really interesting.

scott

Brian E Carpenter - brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Dec 2 19:35:13 PST 2023

FYI, this was recently published (IEEE paywall, unfortunately):

R. Hayakawa, R. Underwood and J. Anson, "The Modern History of ICT in
Oceania—PEACESAT and USPNet," in IEEE Annals of the History of
Computing, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 11-26, Oct.-Dec. 2023, doi:
10.1109/MAHC.2023.3316670

From: surfer at mauigateway.com
To: picisoc at picisoc.org

I haven't read it, but I thought I would forward this email here, since
it's about the South Pacific.  It's from the 'internet history' mailing
list.