[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 30 17:14:47 PDT 2023

On 8/30/2023 4:45 PM, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:
> Put it this way: at a generic standards meeting at the OECD in Paris
> in about 1996,

Somewhere in the range of 1990, I stood up at an IETF meeting and said
something like "While we do engineering, we are a standards
organization."  My understanding is that Vint received quite a few,
quite vigorous complaints about my making such a statement.

I didn't and don't much care about formal status.  As observed, if it
walks like...  And it had been, for years.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking