[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 16:45:30 PDT 2023

On 31-Aug-23 07:40, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> Interesting discussion.  My initial comment, way back in these threads,
> was expressing surprise that the IETF was a "standards body" now, and I
> was curious about the history of how that happened.

Put it this way: at a generic standards meeting at the OECD in Paris
in about 1996, I (as IAB Chair) explained that we were a group of
individuals producing documents by rough consensus, but we weren't
a formal SDO. I was told (by someone pretty senior from IEEE, I think)
that I was being a bit disingenuous. I certainly realised then that
the world had changed. Walks like an SDO, talks like an SDO...

It was Vint who arranged formal liaison with ISO, via ISOC, and
that might actually have been kilometre zero for the IETF as an SDO.

    Brian