[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 11:53:46 PDT 2023

SNIP
On Dave Crocker's comment:

>> I can't imagine someone coming to the IESG today, saying "I see this problem and I think the IETF should form a WG and figure out a solution".
>
> And yet people regularly think they can do exactly that.  In spite of zero track record of success for that model in decades, certainly for applications, and I suspect more generally.

This is because the uninitiate think that these groups are top-down like most organizations, rather than bottom up as they actually are.

When that has happened to me, I have recommended that they go listen to Utah Phillip’s shaggy dog story:  Moose Turd Pie,
Then I tell them they get to cook.  ;-)

John