[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 30 11:32:07 PDT 2023

On 8/30/2023 9:47 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history wrote:
> Traditionally, protocols have never "originated" with the IETF - they
> become standardized, and maybe standards through the RFC process,
> under the IETF aegis.  Right back to the original DoD Protocol Suite
> (did the IETF even exist when the DDN Protocol Handbook was first
> printed?).

While the Arpanet and initial Internet did not have an IETF
administrative and authority structure, it did have an authority
structure and it had a collaboration model very similar to the formal
IETF one.  Hence my phrasing for the initial set of applications.

Referencing some later efforts, IPv6 originated in the IETF.  I believe
the current BGP originated in the pre-IETF IETF-like environment.  SNMP
arguably did not, as I recall. I believe SIP did.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking