[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Wed Aug 30 06:37:05 PDT 2023

On 8/29/2023 8:42 PM, John Klensin wrote:
> Depending on how "originated" is defined and what hair-splitting one
> wants to do,

I meant a very simple distinction:  Coming to the IETF with an existing
specification that already has a group constituency associated with it
and supporting it -- and typically already has functional code -- versus
starting an IETF discussion without a spec or with a variety of specs as
proposals, and then producing a fresh specification.

FTP, email, telnet, DNS were originated in an IETF-like mode. MIME was
originated in the IETF.  HTTP/HTML were not. SPF, DKIM, DMARC, and ARC
were not.

These days, the IETF does refinement and community promotion, not spec
origination.

> I can't imagine someone coming to the IESG today, saying "I see this
> problem and I think the IETF should form a WG and figure out a solution".

And yet people regularly think they can do exactly that.  In spite of
zero track record of success for that model in decades, certainly for
applications, and I suspect more generally.

> I could see a refinement of an existing successful protocol coming
> much closer to "originating" in the IETF, but that is a bit of a
> different category too.

Starting over is not refinement.  That would be origination. Refinement
is not origination.

> Now, I think there might be a useful distinction between protocol work
> that is brought to the IETF that is thought to be complete and with
> the expectation that the IETF will approve it without making
> substantive changes and work that is more preliminary and where the
> IETF is expected (or at least encouraged) to do  significant
> refinement and improvement.

The very long-standing view on this is that the IETF does not
rubber-stamp.  Meaningful technical work is required for getting IETF
standards-track imprimatur.

d/

--
Dave Crocker