[ih] DKIM timeline

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Tue Aug 29 12:00:33 PDT 2023

Forensic archeology can be fun.  I started looking around for
documentation on the early details of DKIM creation.

Some milestones and references...

5/19/2004
	Public announcement of DomainKeys
🔗 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DomainKeys>

5/2004: 	draft-delany-domainkeys-base-00.txt
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-delany-domainkeys-base-00.txt>
Yahoo's DomainKeys spec draft issued
8/2/2004: 	ietf-mailsig at imc.org starts discussion,  to formulate the
MASS wg draft charter. Acknowledgements section cites a long list of folk

ietf-mailsig list hosted at Internet Mail Consortium, now unavailable, but:

  * http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/
  * archive.org and a copy I stashed on Dropbox:
    🔗
    http://web.archive.org/web/20071002205029/http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/
    <http://web.archive.org/web/20071002205029/http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/>

    🔗
    https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6ygzj6wpyywgqcldmsgir/ietf-mailsig-archve.mbox?rlkey=csg3m1zcvfnscc7b71dx1qg44&dl=0
    <https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6ygzj6wpyywgqcldmsgir/ietf-mailsig-archve.mbox?rlkey=csg3m1zcvfnscc7b71dx1qg44&dl=0>

	The initial list discussion was for chartering an IETF working group:

    MASS (Message Authentication Signature Standards)

Draft charter cites:

  * DomainKeys, draft-delany-domainkeys-base-00.txt
  * Identified Internet Mail, draft-fenton-identified-mail-00.txt
  * E-mail Postmarks, http://www.lessspam.org/EmailPostmarks.pdf
  * MTA Signatures, http://www.elan.net/~william/mta_signatures.htm
  * Entity-to-Entity S/MIME, draft-hallambaker-entity-00.txt

1/18/2005
	Security Review of Two MASS Proposals
draft-housley-mass-sec-review-00
5/31/2005
	Exchange between Sam Harman and Dave Crocker included disclosure of ad
hoc, outside effort (cabal).

  My note contained:

    "In the intervening time there has been an enormous amount of work
    and progress at integrating the two proposals. The best way to
    characterize that effort, in IETF terms, is a pre-chartering design
    team.  Happily that effort is nearing completion.  It's not quite
    ready for the next stage of effort, namely public review and
    modification, but it's darn close. (IMNSHO)."

6/2/2005
	DKIM proposal announced
7/10/2005
	DKIM spec announced
10/1/2005
	DKIM working group chartering begun
1/5/2006
	DKIM working group chartered
5/2007
	RFC 4871: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signatures published
9/2011
	RFC 6376: DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) Signatures current revision
published

d/

--
Dave Crocker