[ih] IETF relevance (was Memories of Flag Day?)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 20:15:44 PDT 2023

On 25-Aug-23 11:07, John Klensin via Internet-history wrote:
> Jack,
>
> I'm confident there are people on this list who are more in the mainstream
> of today's IETF than I am and should respond to the rest of your note, but
> two quick comments (maybe corrections but at least adjustments):
>
> (1) The IETF has certainly not "become the ISO".  While there are a wide
> range of opinions about how successful they have been (and answers may
> differ by TC), ISO has made serious efforts to understand the evolutionary
> processes I described and to create procedural and other mechanisms to deal
> with the risks and issues they present.   At least IMO, the IETF has,
> instead, largely pretended that those processes and their consequences do
> not exist and continues to do so.
>
> (2) The IETF already had an active Applications area by the time I started
> getting actively involved with it as an organization (circa 1990 or 1991)
> rather than just reviewing or contributing to an occasional document.  I
> was involved with parts of the IANA and RFC Editor functions much earlier
> but, as you know, they were not part of the IETF or under its control at
> the time.  Probably a larger fraction of applications work has come to the
> IETF already half-developed and in search of refinement and validation by
> the community than has been the case in many other Areas, but that doesn't
> mean the work did not come in and benefit from IETF involvement.  The web
> of the mid-1990s is actually a fairly good example with the some of the
> CERN-developed protocols and systems undergoing significant discussion and
> refinement in the IETF and, btw, HTTP is still primarily and IETF protocol.

I believe I was the first person from CERN to attend the IETF (#25, November
1992, Washington DC). My main interest then was IP over ATM and other "high
speed" links, and in what was about to be named IPng. Tim Berners-Lee was not
there, except in spirit. The first meeting of the Uniform Resource Identifiers
Working Group (URI) took place and a paper 'titled "Universal Resource Locators"
by Tim Berners-Lee was reviewed.'

At IETF 26, Tim was present (I wasn't) and there was a World-Wide Web (WWW) BOF.
Tim continued attending for a while, basically until the W3C was formed and
HTML moved away from the IETF.

So, yes, the IETF was involved at a crucial stage of the Web's childhood, even
before Mosaic 1.0 was released and changed everything. However, in fairness,
the Web was its own best advertisement.

      Brian

P.S. In those days, the minutes of IETF meetings were done properly. Historians
trying to find out who said what in recent years will be disappointed.