[ih] Memories of Flag Day?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Aug 10 09:16:34 PDT 2023

I've been wondering if the IETF is still effective today.   It's been
trying for decades to cajole the Internet into adopting IPV6.

Instead we now live with a multi-protocol Internet, and the complexity
and problems that come with it.  In the 90s, the world embraced TCP and
got rid of all the other protocols.   As I understand it, the IETF now
"puts new technology on the shelf, where anyone is free to pick it up
and use it" - quite different from the management process that
orchestrated "Flag Day" and managed the evolution of the Internet
technology in the field.   Some people have "picked up" IPV6, but many
have not.   I can't tell if I have. I also have no idea how I would do
it.   Or why I should.

Perhaps someone can fill in the history of how the Internet got from
then to now?  I sent an email on this topic a week or so ago, but it
seems to have never come out of the elists.isoc.org system.   FYI, here
it is, in case you didn't get it:

--------------------

IIRC, the "Flag Day" was one piece of a larger plan.

I don't recall the timing of the pieces - it was 40+- years ago. But
there was also a bureaucratic action in that same era to declare TCP a
"DoD Standard", and require its presence in DoD procurements - any
computer system in a DoD purchase using networking had to have TCP.
Also, there was a program created by NIST (or was it still NBS then?) to
provide a test suite for conformance to the TCP standard.   So any
contractor who wanted to sell something to DoD had to have TCP, and by
going through the NIST test suite they could get a certificate proving
that they had TCP implemented properly. I don't remember which of these
happened in what order or how it related to Flag Day (1/1/1983).   But
it all seems to me to be part of some larger plan to migrate the
admittedly small existing network to a new standard.

At BBN, we went through the NIST process to become a certified testing
lab, so we could run the tests for anyone who needed it and issue
conformance certificates.  I'm not sure how many other such labs there
were.  We also provided consulting services to help people understand
TCP and figure out why their software didn't pass the tests.   This was
never seen as any kind of "money maker", but seemed important to do it,
since we had access to IMPs and such which made it easy to set up a
small test lab.

I never saw "the plan", but it struck me that there was a lot going on
behind the scenes to make things like this happen, outside of the
research or Arpanet community or technology per se, in order to
facilitate the introduction of TCP to DoD.  Maybe someone else knows
more about who was involved in all that activity.   Somebody made those
things happen...

In retrospect, it seems to me that such "soft technology" (conformance
certification etc.) was complementary to the technical work documented
in the stream of RFCs, and was important to making TCP "real", and
establishing a bit of regulation around its use "in the field" with
mechanisms such as "Flag Day" to enforce a migration from old to new.

The Internet is now arguably world class "infrastructure".   But, IMHO,
it still lacks a lot of the mechanisms that surround other, older,
infrastructures that move things from point A to point B - e.g.,
highways, electrical service, railroads, airplanes, etc.   The early
work on things like Flag Day, TCP Conformance Tests, DoD
Standardization, and such were the beginning of adding a management
structure around the Internet technology.

As near as I can tell, no such effort continues today.   It may have
faded away back in the 1980s, before TCP became the dominant
technology.   Perhaps the Internet is just too new for such machinery to
be created?

Other infrastructures have gone through stages as rules, regulations,
and practices congeal.  In the early days of electricity it was common
for accidents to occur, causing fires, deaths, or other disasters.
Electrical Codes, safety mechanisms, licensing, rules and practices have
made using electricity much less dangerous.  The same is true of
highways, railroads, etc.

I've always wondered what happened to that "management framework" that
started in the 1980s around the Internet infrastructure, and why it
hasn't resulted in mechanisms today to make the Internet "safer".   I
suspect all infrastructures need things like electrical codes, UL
testing, development of fuses, circuit breakers, GFIs, etc., that are
used in the electrical infrastructure.   But nobody seems to be doing
that for the Internet?

There's lots of such mechanisms I know about in the US to manage
infrastructures.  My car occasionally gets a government-mandated
recall.  Airplanes get grounded by FAA.  Train crashes are investigated
by the Department of Transportation.   Other governments have similar
mechanisms to manage infrastructure.

Has any Internet component, hardware or software, ever been
recalled...?   "Flag Day" was the last enforcement action I can remember.

Jack Haverty