[ih] Larry Roberts & RD the first electronic mail manager software [was written in TECO on TENEX]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 13:57:56 PDT 2023

Jack,

> Imlacs had no I/O except RS232.

That's not quite true, but you needed a tame electronics engineer.
I specified, and someone else designed, a 16-bit parallel communications
interface for the Imlac PDS-1 in 1971. Like the PDP-8 and PDP-11, the
Imlac had provision for connecting homebrew perhipherals. (The Imlac
designers came from Digital.)

Unfortunately I don't have any documentation of that hardware, but the
associated software is documented at
https://github.com/larsbrinkhoff/imlac-software/tree/master/CERN-PDS1
It certainly wasn't teleconferencing.

Regards