[ih] Larry Roberts & RD the first electronic mail manager software [was written in TECO on TENEX]

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Tue Aug 8 13:42:47 PDT 2023

indeed "there another system called Planet in that early era", viz.:

"... In 1971, [Jacques] Vallée left Stanford to join the Engelbart group as
a senior research engineer. His tenure at ARC coincided with the group's
immersion in Erhard Seminars Training and other social experiments,
ultimately prompting his departure. While at the Institute for the Future
as a senior research fellow from 1972 to 1976, he succeeded Paul Baran as
principal investigator on the large National Science Foundation project for
computer networking, which developed one of the first ARPANET conferencing
systems, Planning Network (PLANET),[2] predating instant messaging by many
years. The technology was spun off into InfoMedia, a startup company
founded by Vallée in 1976. Although the firm formed several international
spinoffs and partnered with a variety of prominent firms and governmental
organizations (including Lehman Brothers, Renault and NASA), it failed to
attain long-term profitability...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Vall%C3%A9e

On Tue, Aug 8, 2023 at 1:35 PM Vint Cerf via Internet-history <